Ephesians 4:27: Neither give place to the devil.
We accept it into our homes with joy. We walk around it. We touch it. We sit and look at it for hours. We dust it. We hope to find good in it. We build our belief systems around it. We polish its case. Our families surrender our time and affection to it. You’d think I’d be talking about the family Bible, but sadly I’m not. We let this thing guide our hopes and dreams. It introduces our sicknesses, fears and gives nightmares. It holds our learning our education, our exercise or lack there of. I’m talking about something that has a “place” in our home and lives. By now you’ve probably guessed what this thing is. A television.
In the early 1900’s a Russian inventor put all the components together to develop what we know of today as a television. It was the first clumsy attempts of today’s bright technology. His name was Vladmir Zworykin. After he invented it he said these words.
From the first attempts with a cathode ray tube to today’s flat screen and projection image t.v.’s, we were captivated by it. The television’s ability to capture 2 of our senses of the 5 senses is a profound accomplishment. The two senses being sight, hearing. From the moment of its inception it catapulted to the most popular form of entertainment used in the world. It has transformed the economic, social economic industry and now drives capitalism to heights previously unknown by civilization. Next is video games, done first on computer–thereby introducing families to computers, that are now on television. Our video games see us. (XBox Kinect) They capture 3 of the five senses excluding taste and smell which is almost captured by the commercials dripping with sweet goodness about Godiva chocolate, etc.
With all of our attention diverted to this apparatus–and let’s face it, it’s an amazing apparatus–what pulls our attention back to what is real? What takes us back to God’s Word? I’m not here to criticize the TV. (Although, I hear that now a movie is causing epileptic seizures to take place while watching it.) Nothing is evil in and of itself. It’s what we do with them that make them good or bad. Television and movies capture our senses. The perception shift has changed without a noticeable difference, so why fight it…right? Why resist something so seemingly innocent? I’ll tell you why in three verses.
- 2 Corinthians 5:7; For we walk by faith, not by sight. (Avoid making decisions based on our 5 senses, make them according to God and His Word.)
- Galatians 5:16-17; [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. (The devil knows that our five senses are easily distracted so what did he offer? A constant distraction.)
- Ephesians 6:10-11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places]. (If the devil can divert your attention away from the real fight, the spiritual fight, then he can take root in your life. How? Through his propaganda and venues.)
You are reading this on the internet. Why would I criticize what I’m participating in? Because, we still have the job of; discerner of truth and error. What’s the old saying just because they made a book about it or a movie, doesn’t mean it’s true. We are in the fight of our life so well disguised that even the most discerning Bible students get tripped up. Error is error. If we don’t see it how can we reveal it? Make time to fill your self with God’s media, God’s truth. We are in control of our own success or failure. Take charge and fight for your own brain cells. They are worth it! The above verse says do not give place to the devil. Where? In our hearts and minds!
Fight, resist him and be free!
- Can You Know Your Calling From God? (supportinggodlywomen.wordpress.com)
- Jesus Christ Rocks! (supportinggodlywomen.wordpress.com)
- It’s a Really Big Deal, But Do You Understand Why? (supportinggodlywomen.wordpress.com)
- THEFT: Trust Missing, Police Blame the Liar (supportinggodlywomen.wordpress.com)