What are you forgetting? I have often asked myself that question. Inevitably, I’ll walk out the door, arms loaded with “to-do” things and forget something back in the house. My family is learning that we have to figure “turn-around time” into our travel equation. What about before that, or at little times of crisis during the day? Can one thing bring an attitude turn-around for you? Here’s a little trick that will turn your whole day from negative whininess to positive cheerfulness.
“Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:” Psalms 103:2
Does that say, remember all God’s benefits? Nope. Just don’t forget them all. Psalms 103 is a list! And what a list! I’m going to put them in list format instead of verse format, so you see what I mean.
- “Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; (ALL of them? Wow. Even the really bad ones…wow!)
- Who healeth all thy diseases; (ALL of them? Wow. Even the really bad ones…wow!) (I sense a trend…)
- Who redeemeth thy life from destruction;
- Who crowneth thee with loving kindness and
- Tender mercies; (These are my kind of crowns! What? I’m a girl. I like bling!) 🙂
- Who satisfieth thy mouth with good [things; so that] thy youth is renewed like the eagle’s. (The best anti-aging serum ever known.)
- The LORD executeth righteousness and
- Judgment for all that are oppressed. (Oppressed is pushed down, held down, forced into submission.)
- He made known his ways unto Moses, (That guy wrote the first five books of the Bible. Wow!)
- His acts unto the children of Israel.
- The LORD [is] merciful and
- Slow to anger,
- And plenteous in mercy.
- He will not always chide: (I wonder if this is another word for nag?)
- Neither will he keep [his anger] for ever. (Doesn’t hold grudges. Phew!)
- He hath not dealt with us after our sins; (If he did…I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t survive. He IS God after-all.)
- Nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. (That’s a relief! God does not own a bat for rewarding us back for our sins.)
- For as the heaven is high above the earth, [so] great is his mercy toward them that fear him. (How high is that? There’s a Figure of Speech here for anyone interested in further study. ;))
- As far as the east is from the west, [so] far hath he removed our transgressions from us.” (Another figure. Do the East and West ever meet? NO! Those sins are gone! If someone brings them back up it’s not God) Psalms 103: 3-12
Isn’t that a wonderful list of God’s benefits? And we only got to verse 12! The entire chapter is loaded with them yes, but what is this list? It’s a reminder. It reminds us of God’s goodness to His children. Last night I did this very thing in my own life. I couldn’t believe the joy that flooded my heart. I wrote as many of the blessings I could think of. You were on that list! You bless my life because you are searching for ways to fellowship closer with God. You are my fellow sojourners in His love.
Personally, I like a good shortcut. Don’t you? I want to cut the time, pain, grueling hours of confusion and/or heartbreak out of my walk with God. I just want to get to the gooey center. Making a list like this, is a shortcut to thankfulness. When someone is thankful to God, they have an awfully hard time being mad at Him. See shortcut. Viola’.
“And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.” Col. 3:15
God bless you today!