I’ve got this massive prayer request. It’s been a life long dream. I’ve gone up and down the emotional roller coaster of condemnation, doubt, worry and fear. I’ve pleaded with God for it. Until finally, I gave up. Is that what God wanted me to do? How do I get from point A (dream, goal, prayer request) to point B (living reality) while appeasing God enough so He’ll help me get there? Do I have to pray three rosaries, do church aerobics, attend Bible-study regularly, run the music at church, do thirty push-ups a day, fulfill every other thing God’s ever asked me to do and then maybe, just maybe He’ll perform a miracle and let me have this one thing?
Nope. Though that effort is nice, and they show how sincere you are in getting your needs, they are not the determining factor for God to do Hi part. Let’s face an honest fact. Sincerity is no sign of the truth. Satan’s church worshipers are sincere. Wiccan members are sincere, even terrorists ooze with sincerity. Anyone can be sincere. So, let’s throw that one out. And ask the right questions.
- Who determines the need? “But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” Phil. 4:19. Whose need? Your need. You determine it. No matter it’s size the need is yours. What’s next? Is there anything too crazy big? I don’t know… Jesus walked on water, Fire consumed rocks for Elijah, the Red Sea parted for Moses, the dead were brought back to life, Philip was transported through space and time. Paul passed out hankie’s of healing, Peter asked for a lame man to walk. Solomon asked for wisdom. Is there anything too crazy big? I guess you’ll just have to ask the next question.
- Ask God: What is Available? The answer will put things in perspective immediately. James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. If you find out that what you are praying for isn’t available, or get a “No” as the response when you ask God, then ask a variety of “What is available in the situation?” questions until you get a “Yes”. Such as; you are praying for a new career or job, or a new car, boyfriend or more money. What is your too crazy big request? Ask God, “Is it available?” What if you got a yes from God-almighty, who knows everything. I’d say that’s a wet-your-pants-excited moment. Then what?
- Ask God: How do I receive it? This question will be answered directly or indirectly. (The quieter you are the better you will hear His voice) In our example above you asked about a new business. An example answer may be, that the name of an old business associate pops into your head. Or out of the blue a friend calls you needing to hire someone. Or God plainly says, look in the newspaper. There are so many options here that number three is immediately the next step.
- Ask God: What do I do when I’ve got it? You just got your big dream. Now it’s wise to ask how God would used it if He were standing in your shoes. God wants you to succeed. If you don’t believe me, then you’re not counting the fact that He watched his son sacrifice himself on a cross for you. He poured out a gift of pure raging success and power! All we have to do is tap into it. How big can you dream?
- Here are some perspective tips.
- Make sure you’re wants and needs are parallel. Make sure they match. For example, you really need to lose weight and exercise, but you don’t want to because you like Twinkies too much. Nothing will happen. Remember in Phil. 4:13 it says “I can do all things….” Paul said HE could do it because HE wanted and needed to do it. We can’t put everything on God because we are workers together with Him.
- God is ability always equals His willingness. But wait! We’re talking about a too-big, out-of-this-world, pipe dream. Does it always count for anything I ask? If God said it’s available, then by God it is available! Which means He is willing AND able to help you. Humans sometimes say things, or commit to things they really don’t want to do. God never does. It says in Numbers 23:19; “God is not a man that He should lie.”
Isn’t this a much more simple guide? What are some of your huge goals?