Today, is Throw Back Thursday so I thought I’d dig back through some of my favorite old posts. This one was first published in April of 2011. My son was still around 16 months or so and we were celebrating every little event. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
My husband stands over the crib of our tired, almost two-year-old boy, who wiggles in anticipation of their nightly routine.
“God”, Bill begins the prayer.
“Da,” comes the mimicking reply.
“Thank you for Mommy,” Bill continues.
“day dah, mah mah,” my little boy continues.
My heart-melted smile widens, as I listen from my pillow, and wait for Bill to continue,
“And thank you for Daddy,” he says.
“Zee zha, dah dah,” comes the tiny voice.
“In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.” Bill finishes,
“Zeezus, may menn.” Isaac finishes. “nigh, nigh.”
Prayer… what is prayer?
Isn’t prayer just a conversation? Or, is it really a hidden opportunity to spill our guts out, to someone who loves us and cares? Teaching our son– who has no idea what he is doing yet–to pray is a precious parenting moment. One I’ll never forget. The older he gets, the more we’ll be able to teach him about it. We’ve spent weeks and weeks working with him on using words. Yesterday, he looked at us and said, “Wah wah,” his word for “water”. He is communicating with language! YEAH!
What about God? Do you think he wants us to communicate in a specific way? SURE!
John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
God is Holy and God is Spirit. So what did he give us? Holy Spirit. Once we do Romans 10:9-10, we can communicate directly with him. Without God’s Spirit in us, it is like having an old Microsoft P.C. communicate with a new Macintosh computer. It just doesnt’ work! God equipped us to communicate with him. How loving is that?
1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.
When I looked up the word “pray” in the concordance, I was overwhelmed by the amount of times it’s listed in the Bible. Why would God ask us to pray so much? For the relationship. Relationships are built by spending time together. They say “distance makes the heart grow fonder” right? In truth it’s actually, “Distance make the heart wander”. Spending time getting to know God is one of the best things you could do to improve the rest of the areas of your life! Cuz, God just knows stuff! And more than anything he wants to bless you with that knowledge.
James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
“Upbraideth not” means he doesn’t give the wisdom begrudgingly. He gives it willingly!
5 Tips on Prayer
- Pray like you are talking to an old friend. Trust me, God’s known you, for a really long time.
- Ephesians 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love.
- Be honest with yourself and then him. John 4:23 (see above)
- If you don’t know what to pray about ask! James 1:5 (see above)
- Pray using the power and authority you gained and use the “name of Jesus Christ”. (It’s like the sheriff showing his badge to the criminals, the devils have to obey that name, Luke 10:17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.
- Get quiet and listen. Most people do all the talking to God, but what if your friends never let YOU talk. Wouldn’t that get a little old?
- I Kings 19:11-12 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; [but] the LORD [was] not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; [but] the LORD [was] not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire; [but] the LORD [was] not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.
Pray, Rinse, Repeat.
God Bless You Today!